How to Receive Compensation for Injuries Received as a Crime Victim

Injured broken man

Being the victim of a crime can be a shocking experience, which can be made worse if you’ve been physically or psychologically injured. Although your medical expenses may be taken care of by NHS, if your injuries are severe, you may need to be off work as well. Fortunately, you can receive compensation for injuries you received as the victim of a crime.

Who Pays Compensation?

If you’ve been the victim of a crime and have been injured during its commission, either physically or psychologically, the government has a scheme to compensate people for their injuries. Parliament sets the rules for this scheme and for calculating the value of the compensation. The size of the payments is usually dependent on the seriousness of the crime, so the more violent it was, the more you will receive.

Applying for Compensation

To receive compensation for injuries received during the commission of a crime, you must apply for it. The application can be done online or you can also write a letter to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. Your application or letter will be considered and if your claim is accepted, you will receive compensation, but payments usually take up to 12 months to receive.

Hiring a Solicitor

Another way to try to get compensation for injuries is to hire legal representation in Yorkshire but the application for compensation must be made within two years of the incident. A solicitor specialising in personal injury compensation can help you seek payments for any injuries you received as a victim of a crime. He or she can help you gather any evidence that the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) may need as they are reviewing your application.

The commission may want to see your medical records as evidence and any medical bills you may be required to pay. Also, if you missed work, they may also ask for evidence showing you were off work due to the severity of your injuries. There may be costs for gathering medical records and other medical evidence but you will not be required to pay more than £50.

It’s important to note you have to be off of work for more than 28 weeks due to your injuries to be compensated for not being able to earn a living. The first 28 weeks are not covered under the scheme. Also, the scheme will pay for up to three different injuries you received during the commission of a crime but the rates of coverage will vary.

Appealing Decisions

If your application for criminal injury compensation is turned down, then you can appeal the decision. You will need to fill out a form to make an appeal to the First-Tier Tribunal. The form must be sent within 90 days from the review decision.

The First-Tier Tribunal is independent from the CICA and their decision is final unless it is overturned after a judicial review finds they erred in applying laws. If you’ve been injured because of a crime, contact a personal injury solicitor for help recovering compensation.